Periodontal Disease Treatment at HomeTreatment of Advanced Periodontal disease is a multi-step process. Sometimes a periodontist will recommend medications as a first-line treatment for advanced periodontal disease before resorting to surgery, depending on the severity of your gum disease.
Medications for Treatment of Advanced Periodontal DiseaseYou have several choices when it comes to medications for treatment of advanced periodontal disease treatment, including the following:
- Doxycycline Gel: Gel that contains doxycycline (an antibiotic) provides periodontal disease treatment by killing bacteria and shrinking the pockets that periodontal disease can cause along the gum line. Your periodontist applies the gel to the pockets after a tooth scaling/root planing procedure, and the antibiotic is released gradually over a period of about a week. (1)
- Chlorhexidine Chip: Another periodontal disease treatment involves placing a small, antimicrobial gelatin chip in a tissue pocket along the gum line after tooth scaling/root planing, and the antimicrobial is released gradually over time. (1)
- Minocycline Microspheres: For this type of periodontal disease treatment, the periodontist places tiny particles containing minocycline as an antibiotic in the tissue pockets after a tooth scaling/root planing procedure. (1)
- Doxycycline Pill: Your periodontist may prescribe an antibiotic pill for periodontal disease treatment in addition to tooth scaling and root planing. A low-dose doxycycline pill can help prevent overactive enzymes from breaking down gum tissue after periodontal disease treatment. (1)
Treatment of Advanced Periodontal Disease Gets PersonalPeriodontal disease treatment doesn’t end when you leave the periodontist’s office. Whether your periodontal disease treatment consists of a dental cleaning, tooth scaling/root planing or surgery, such as a root canal or crown-lengthening procedure, it is important to maintain a regular oral care routine at home.
To Stop Gingivitis Before It StartsTo help prevent and reverse gingivitis, an early form of periodontal disease, try a Crest Pro-Health regimen.
A Crest Pro-Health Night regimen helps protect your teeth and gums. This Crest Pro-Health Night regimen includes:
- Toothpaste: Crest Pro-Health Night Toothpaste can play a key role in at-home treatment of gingivitis, an early form of periodontal disease, by protecting against gingivitis, cavities, and plaque buildup. Crest Pro-Health Night Toothpaste also features a mint flavor to freshen breath, as well as ingredients to whiten teeth and fight tartar. All Crest Pro-Health toothpastes are triclosan free. (3)
- Rinse: Crest Pro-Health Multi-Protection Night Rinse helps reduce gingivitis, an early form of periodontal disease by killing germs. Crest Pro-Health Multi-Protection Night Rinse provides 24-hour protection against gingivitis and plaque when used twice a day and it freshens your breath without the burning sensation of alcohol. (3)
- Brush: To round out the Crest Pro-Health Night Regimen, choose a soft-bristled toothbrush that fits your mouth, such as the Oral-B Cross-Action Pro-Health Toothbrush, which features soft gum stimulators and a tongue cleaner. Or try the Oral-B Pulsar Pro-Health Toothbrush, which features micropulse bristles that help break up plaque that forms between the teeth.
- Floss: Twice-daily flossing is an important part of any oral care regimen. If your teeth and gums are sensitive, try Crest Glide Pro-Health Floss for Sensitive Gums. (3)
For continued gingivitis prevention, an early form of periodontal disease , be sure to see your dentist regularly for a professional cleaning and checkup. (4)
- Crest product information