What Causes GingivitisOne of the primary factors contributing to gingivitis is plaque buildup, a sticky colorless deposit of bacteria that regularly forms on teeth. These bacteria build up and can create byproducts that can damage the gums.
While gingivitis is a milder and reversible form of gum disease, it may lead to more serious, destructive forms if left untreated.
Some Signs of Gingivitis
- Mild inflammation of the gums due to plaque buildup
- Red or swollen gums
- Gums that bleed easily
How Can I Help Prevent Gingivitis?The key is removing plaque, and that starts with good brushing habits. But it’s also essential to have the right products for the job. Crest recommends this oral care routine:
- Brush twice a day with a soft-bristled or power toothbrush, such as the Oral-B® Vitality™ Precision Clean electric rechargeable brush. It removes up to two times more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush.
- Be sure to use an anti-gingivitis and anti-plaque toothpaste containing fluoride to strengthen teeth and prevent decay, such as Crest® Pro-Health™ Toothpaste. When you brush with Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste, therapeutic stannous fluoride — an anti-microbial agent — helps kill harmful bacteria that cause plaque and gingivitis. All Crest Pro-Health toothpastes are triclosan free.
- Rinse thoroughly after brushing with an anti-bacterial rinse, such as Crest Pro-Health Multi-Protection Rinse. It contains a clinically proven anti-microbial agent, cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC), which is attracted to bacteria in your mouth, making it effective at fighting plaque, gingivitis and bad breath.
- Floss at least once a day to remove food particles and plaque between teeth with a product like Glide Floss, the #1 dentist-recommended floss brand. Glide gently stimulates gums and helps prevent gingivitis by removing plaque.
- 1.Removing plaque is an important step to help prevent gingivitis. Try using the Oral-B Vitality Precision Clean toothbrush along with Crest Pro-Health Toothpaste and Crest Pro-Health Multi-Protection Rinse for up to 7x better cleaning.*
- Visit your dentist regularly for oral exams and cleanings.
* On teeth with regular use versus a regular manual brush and regular anti-cavity toothpaste.